Let’s talk about breakfast. I love breakfast food. I also love desserts (my sweet tooth does not quit). When I found a recipe that was breakfast and dessert combined AND it had healthy ingredients? SOLD!
I am obsessed with this Brownie Batter Breakfast Bake recipe from Running With Spoons. It is everything I love in one warm, chocolatey bowl. I make this at least once a week and let me tell you, I never get tired of it. It’s super quick and easy to make in the morning and the fibre from the oats leaves you full for hours. It quite literally tastes like you’re eating brownies fresh out of the oven for breakfast. No complaints.
Brownie Batter Breakfast Bake
- 1/3 cup (30 g) rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp (15 g) flour of choice*
- 1 Tbsp (5 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- ½ – 1 Tbsp (8-15 ml) maple syrup, to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla flavor
- 1 Tbsp (10 g) dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F, and lightly coat an individual sized ramekin or oven-safe bowl with cooking spray or oil.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together oats, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla, mixing until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips, reserving a few to sprinkle on the top.
- Transfer batter to your greased ramekin, topping with a few extra chocolate chips if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on desired consistency.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before adding any additional toppings and digging in!
I bake this recipe in a glass bowl for 16 minutes, using a full tbsp of pure maple syrup for sweetness and mini chocolate chips throughout. Almond milk and dairy free chips are perfect for a dairy free option, but any milk can be substituted for the almond milk in equal parts. I tend to have regular lactose-free milk on hand, so I typically use that. I also sometimes throw in an extra dash of baking powder for a little extra fluff.